It was 9:00 a.m. in the Bahamas as I began a nice, relaxing pre-wedding-weekend massage. At 9:05 a.m., I sat straight up in sheer panic as I realized I had forgotten my veil, hanging in my closet, back in the United States. How could I have forgotten my veil?!?
Packing for your destination wedding can be overwhelming and stressful as you try your best not to forget anything. But, it doesn’t have to be. A few weeks before you leave, make a list of everything and anything you could possibly need….a sewing kit, a steamer, your veil!! Trust us, even if you think you will remember it, put it on your list! After you complete your list, check with your hotel, resort, bed and breakfast, or wherever you are staying, to see if they provide any of these items. If so, ask in advance if they will deliver those items to your room the day of. This will not only lighten your load but will ease your mind knowing those items are already there for you.
Most destinations will have general stores, cantinas, or even Target’s where you will be able to purchase certain items. No mascara? No problem. Forgot bobby pins? Borrow some from the local salon. Forgot your veil!?!? Time to find a solution…..
Below are some recommendations for the must-have packing list for your destination wedding:
- His and Her Wedding Day Attire – You have put a lot of thought into your complete day-of look, so make sure you list everything from head to toe. From hair accessories and jewelry for her, to bow-tie and socks for him.
- Gifts – If you are planning on giving gifts to your family or your wedding party, be sure to also think about packing boxes, wrapping paper (pre-cut), tape, ribbons and bows so that you can assemble the packages when you arrive at your destination.
- Family Heirlooms or Sentimental Trinkets – If you were given your mothers garter, your grandmothers necklace, or your fathers handkerchief to use as a part of your big day, be sure those come with you. You won’t find those in any store, no matter where you are.
- Your Vows – If your vows are on paper, be sure they make it into your wallet, purse, or somewhere else on your person. Sure, you may have memorized them or could partially re-create them, but if you poured your heart and soul onto that one piece of paper, you don’t want to leave that behind.
- Important Documents – If traveling internationally for your wedding, be sure you bring all required documents that you may need in order to obtain your marriage license. Some places may require a passport, drivers license, and even birth certificate. Additionally, be sure to bring along any vendor contracts, receipts of payment, etc. as proof or back-up.
- Honeymoon Clothes – If you are traveling to another destination for your honeymoon (with a different climate!), we recommend packing those clothes in an entirely different suitcase. By keeping everything separate, it will help minimize the clutter and stress of it all. Further, we recommend shipping your honeymoon clothes to where you will be staying so it is one less thing to worry about keeping track of! RealSimple.com has put together an extensive list for packing for your honeymoon!
- Electronics – If you intend to play a video, a slideshow of photos, or specific music you may have on your computer, be sure to pack your electronics. This includes chargers, cords, back-up batteries, external hard drives, converters (if traveling to a different country), etc.
- Beauty Essentials – Although American brands can be found almost everywhere, it is important to remember to bring the beauty items you use on a daily basis. Trying out a different brand before your wedding day is not recommended, as there is always a chance you can develop a reaction to a product your skin is not used to. So, stay away from hotel soaps, the facial scrub the locals swear by, and the no-name sunscreen sold in the cantina.
Luxury Wedding Design and Planning :: Serving Hilton Head, Savannah and Beaufort
Phone: (843) 757-7762